Codeword is a communication design agency that helps brands create breakthrough comms, content, and community experiences.
We’re a fast-moving team of writers, editors, designers, strategists, videographers, PR mavens, and even a few traditional marketers.
Our incredible roster of big and small tech clients trust us to launch their startups, run multi-channel campaigns, grow their user bases, and lead comprehensive PR and marketing initiatives. We’re storytellers and brand engineers, and we love big ideas that serve a real purpose.
Codeword is a remote-first agency, though we have physical offices in NYC and SF that we won’t make you visit.
- 3+ years in journalism, digital media, content, marketing, advertising, or a similar field
- You’re a proven expert in covering tech, business, and/or startups
- You’ve got a voracious media diet, including a pile of magazines on your table, a stack of books on your nightstand, and way too many tabs to count
- You’re obsessed with at least one newsletter that nobody else knows about (yet)
- You’ve got a secret writing project and/or creative hobby that you’re doing just for yourself
About This Role
Maybe you’re a journalist looking for a career pivot. Or you’re a copywriter at a corporate Frankenagency who’s sick of seeing creativity lose out to boring ideas. Or you’re neither, but you saw us on LinkedIn and liked our vibe.
We’re looking for a writer to join Codeword’s integrated marketing team. The ideal candidate is someone who will pitch ideas and write multiple times a week, primarily but not exclusively for bylines, newsletters, and social posts.
Our team works with a variety of clients, so if you prefer working on one project for a long time, this job probably isn’t the right fit. But if you have a reporter’s curiosity, a poster’s mentality, and a knack for hitting deadlines, we want to hear from you.
A typical week in this job might involve interviewing a tech exec on Monday, drafting social posts about trending news on Tuesday, pitching creative ideas to a client on Wednesday, and filing a byline on Thursday. (We don’t do Friday deadlines if we can help it.)
This role will report to senior editor Mary von Aue and work closely with editorial director Chris Heller. We’re a tight-knit team that works together every day, so collaboration in a remote environment is just as essential as creativity. If you’ve worked with others to create something great, tell us how you pulled it off.
Please include a cover letter when you apply. We’d also like to see 3 to 5 of your favorite clips (if you’re a reporter), your portfolio (if you’re a copywriter), or whatever creative project shows off your skills best. You’ll find it easiest to combine everything into one doc, and upload as your “resume” on our application.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Pitching ideas and writing multiple times a week, primarily bylines, newsletters, and social posts
- Daily news scans for trending stories and topics
- Working closely with colleagues in editorial, PR, design, and strategy via chat and calls throughout the day
- Building close relationships with clients, whether by interviewing tech founders and execs or by in-person meetings and events
- Politely tolerating Mary and Chris when they talk about New Jersey too much
- Optional karaoke after Codeword parties
People — that’s you! — are the heart of our business, and we believe a culture of pay transparency benefits both Codeword and our team members’ careers.
For this role, we’re looking to pay a salary of $70,000 – $89,000 depending on experience.
- Flexible work hours
- Minimum 20 days paid vacation annually
- 401k + financial wellness support
- Health Insurance (medical, dental, life, pet, mental health services)
- Home office allowance
- Bi-annual Wellness Credits
- Monthly Technology Credit (to offset internet / phone costs)
- Every role is bonus eligible
- Comprehensive Parental Leave Policy
A few more things you should know about Codeword
- The Codeword dream: Make good money doing work you care about with people you like.
- We love our clients (they write the checks!), which means maintaining a high bar for the creativity, smarts, responsiveness, and communication skills we offer them.
- We’re around 100 people, big enough to handle large-scale marketing programs, small enough that you’ll have an impact on our culture.
- We’re a friendly team, we look after each other, and we grow our careers together.
- We respect everyone’s personal life. After-hours emails are strongly frowned upon, night and weekend work is very rare, and employees are encouraged to pursue their side-hustles.
- We’re all grownups here, and we trust each other to get the work done, whether at home or in an office or a time zone on the other side of the world.
- We believe in defaulting to openness. Our calendars, our salary tiers, and our doors are open for all to see. (Except for secret client stuff, which we guard with our lives.)
- We’re a proud member of the global WE Communications family.
- Equal Opportunity: Codeword provides equal employment opportunity and doesn’t discriminate against employees or applicants because of age, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, or other legally protected class status.
- Diversity and Inclusion: Codeword works hard to foster a diverse team and an inclusive workplace where everyone thrives.
We aren’t a traditional agency, so we like to hire people who don’t necessarily fit the agency mold or check all the “right” boxes. If you’re on the fence about applying, please do!