About This Role
The senior copywriter reports toVicki Jacobson, a VP and editorial director (and a very smart human). You’ll be part of a team of editors, writers, strategists, designers, and account people tapped to work with one of the most influential companies in tech. You’ll support creative projects from ideation to execution, developing everything from campaign concepts to social copy, video scripts, and articles.
In this role, you’ll be working closely with clients and helping the agency continue to build trust and relationships, so you’ll stay on top of the news, insights, and audience trends related to our client work.
Just as important as your client relationships are your relationships with your teammates. Collaboration is huge here: On any given day, you’ll likely be messaging or getting on calls with your fellow editors and writers, plus our phenomenal designers, strategists, and account managers. We group chat a lot. We encourage each other, celebrate each other’s stellar contributions, and volunteer thoughts on various issues even when they fall outside of our comfort zones.
As a senior copywriter, you’ll be working with talented junior editors and writers, which means you’ll edit all sorts of content to help make them compelling and engaging. We’re talking executive and brand social posts, emails, presentation decks, executive social posts, articles … our clients want ‘em all!
You know how to make a headline punchier, cut down on fluff, and enjoy mentoring others to develop those skills. And it probably goes without saying, but we’ll say it anyway: We’re looking for eagle-eyed editors who delight in the details, love to write, and agree that accuracy is everything. Bonus points if you know your way around AP style — extra bonus points if you can spot where we deviate from it.
- 5+ years of experience in Content, Marketing, Journalism, Advertising, or a related field
- Creative and out-of-the-box thinker who comes up with better descriptions than “out-of-the-box”
- Ability to take a complicated tech subject and present it in a way that’s both clear and interesting
- Experience in interviewing and gathering information from subject matter experts and senior execs, especially those in tech
- Top-notch writing and editing skills, plus comfort with formats including social media, scripts, exec thought leadership, and blogs
- Experience meeting deadlines while juggling multiple projects
- Not shy about sharing your opinion with your team and clients (without being a jerk)
- Excited to push creative limits when it comes to projects and pitching ideas (and Friendsgiving recipes!)
What You’ll Be Doing
- Developing high-quality creative across a range of written formats
- Contributing to brainstorms to put a twist on formats that clients are keen to freshen up
- Collaborating with colleagues in Design, Accounts, and Strategy
- Honing your inner anthropologist to become an expert on your client’s audience
- Pitching on-trend (and ahead-of-the-trend!) story and campaign ideas
- Reviewing the work of other editors and writers
- Contributing on internal and external client status calls
- Responding with a GIF when it says so much more than words
- Over-sharing pictures of your pet and/or unpopular opinions about the latest show/movie/album
- Flexible work hours
- Minimum 20 days paid vacation annually
- 401k + financial wellness support
- Health Insurance (medical, dental, life, pet, mental health services)
- Home office allowance
- Bi-annual Wellness Credits
- Monthly Technology Credit (to offset internet / phone costs)
- Every role is bonus eligible
- Comprehensive Parental Leave Policy
People – that’s you! – are the heart of our business, and we believe a culture of pay transparency benefits both Codeword and our team members’ careers.
For this role, we’re looking to pay $85K-$128K, depending on experience.
A few more things you should know about Codeword
- The Codeword dream: Make good money doing work you care about with people you like.
- We love our clients (they write the checks!), which means maintaining a high bar for the creativity, smarts, responsiveness, and communication skills we offer them.
- We’re around 100 people, big enough to handle large-scale marketing programs, small enough that you’ll have an impact on our culture.
- We’re a friendly team, we look after each other, and we grow our careers together.
- We respect everyone’s personal life. After-hours emails are strongly frowned upon, night and weekend work is very rare, and employees are encouraged to pursue their side-hustles.
- We’re all grownups here, and we trust each other to get the work done, whether at home or in an office or a time zone on the other side of the world.
- We believe in defaulting to openness. Our calendars, our salary tiers, and our doors are open for all to see. (Except for secret client stuff, which we guard with our lives.)
- We’re a proud member of the global WE Communications family.
- Equal Opportunity: Codeword provides equal employment opportunity and doesn’t discriminate against employees or applicants because of age, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, or other legally protected class status.
- Diversity and Inclusion: Codeword works hard to foster a diverse team and an inclusive workplace where everyone thrives.
We aren’t a traditional agency, so we like to hire people who don’t necessarily fit the agency mold or check all the “right” boxes. If you’re on the fence about applying, please do!