About This Role 📝
The Account Director is responsible for being the day-to-day point of contact across a variety of clients (maximum of 6). You are excited about working with up-and-coming PR talent, teaching them the trade across your account teams as well as a direct reporting line.
You will own and run your accounts with minimal oversight from the PR Leadership team (Gabie Kur, Liv Allen, and Josh Heath), and be responsible for crafting and implementing PR strategies that generate results for our clients.
This role does lightly participate in new business initiatives, such as pitch creation and participation, but the core focus is on client retention. A successful Account Director will be able to build long-term relationships with their clients, and identify opportunities to grow the relationships significantly.
As the day-to-day account lead, you’ll give confident counsel to clients on media strategy and media relations. You’ll also be familiar with other areas of the marketing mix, especially those Codeword has capabilities in, and how to integrate them into your client programs.
You will have had some experience managing direct reports in the past, and feel comfortable with managing a handful of talented up-and-comers with different personalities, backgrounds and management needs. You’re excited about the idea of growing a team under you and seeing them flourish, and you thrive in an environment where you lead by example.
Previous experience in the tech (B2B or B2C) and startup worlds is critical, as well as a deep understanding of the shifting earned media landscape and how to measure the value of a PR win.
You’re a creative thought leader, motivated to see your innovative ideas turn into inspiring client campaigns and high-impact headlines.
You are not afraid of some numbers, supporting the S/VP on your accounts in balancing scopes and budgets, as well as staffing needs.
You’ll thrive if you’re an energetic and nimble self-starter that’s comfortable with shifting timelines and priorities. The right candidate doesn’t shy away from giving or receiving feedback, shooting their shot with a crazy idea, or pushing back like a seasoned advisor.
What You’ll Be Doing 🧩
- Day-to-day client lead on a maximum of 8 accounts, including managing the account team, scope of work, client relations, and program execution
- PR strategy and creative campaign building for your clients, alongside the Director of Strategy, Brandon Carter with minimal oversight from an S/VP
- Identifying and converting organic growth opportunities that make Codeword irreplaceable for clients
- Collaboratively building industry-leading reports on PR program ROI with our Insights & Analytics team, and consistently thinking of new ways to show quantitative value tailored to each of your clients
- Scoring high-impact, top-tier media placements for your clients across all media verticals and mediums
- Bringing creative ideas to your clients outside of traditional PR, utilizing Codeword’s full service capabilities
- Support new business efforts through pitch creation and participation
- Nurture and motivate up-and-coming talent through mentorship and direct management
- Explain complex tech and industry-changing ideas to journalists in three sentences or less
- Managing your team’s monthly hours against our retainers to ensure maximum efficiency and results
- Participate in and conduct media training sessions and interviews
- Be responsible for reviewing and editing all written materials developed by your team, and assist them in fine-tuning their writing skills
Your Compensation 💰
People – that's you! – are the heart of our business, and we believe a culture of pay transparency benefits both Codeword and our team members’ careers.
For this role we’re looking to pay $115K-155K, depending on experience.